From the Hancock County Courthouse, go east for 2 blocks on Broad Street. Turn right on Boland, which becomes Linton Road. Go 7.3 miles to the plantation house on the right at 183 Linton Road. The cemetery is 250 feet behind the plantation house.
GPS coordinates: 33 10' 41.1" N 83 00' 09.1" W
or in degrees only form: 33.17808° N X 83.00253° WSee location on a Google map in a new window
The map opens in a new window. The cemetery will be at the location indicated by a red marker.)
Cemetery Status: Active
Predominant race: White
According to the Macon Telegraph
, Mar. 30, 2003, page F-1, the house was built by Theophilus Jackson Smith in 1848 and was sold in 1869 to Ethan Allen Hitchcock, who soon after died, leaving it to his wife, Margaret Nicholls. The Nicholls family owned the plantation for 110 years. The house was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Indexer or Contributor: Susan Smith