Iverson Louis Harris
Inscription and Notes:
Seminole War 1836-1837, per A/D.
His house is located at 421 W. Montgomery St (the Carl Vinson house)
Military Service: Seminole War
Superior Court Judge Ocmulgee Dist 1859-1865. Former Associate Justice of State Supreme Court 1865-1876.
Iverson Louis Harris was Superior Court Judge of the Ocmulgee District from 1859-1865 and Associate Justice of the State Supreme Court. He co-authored the bill to bring the State Hospital to Milledgeville. His plantation outside of Milledgeville was burned by Sherman in 1864 because Harris had advocated a scorched earth policy to impede Sherman's advance. Harris's town house, 421 W. Montgomery Street, was not harmed. The house was later home to Representative Carl Vinson.