Milledgeville, founded in 1803, was Georgia's 4th capital and served as capital
from 1804 until 1868. As part of the planning of Milledgeville in December,
1804, four public squares of 20 acres each were established, with one square
(the South square) set aside for public use. In 1807 the new statehouse, though unfinished, was able to accommodate the legislators. In 1809, the Methodist church,
with approximately 100 members, was built in the South square, and a church
cemetery was established. Other churches began building in Statehouse square,
rather than the South square. Eventually the Methodist church moved to Statehouse
square also, and the South square became the Milledgeville City Cemetery. In
about 1945, the Milledgeville City Cemetery obtained the additional name of
Both black and white people are buried in the cemetery. A January 5, 1904 Union
Recorder article reads as follows: "Frank Kyles, the City Sexton has
made his final report for the year 1903. The reports made by him during the
year show that there were sixty-one interments in the cemetery during the year,
of these 22 were the remains of white people, and 39 negroes."
Today, Memory Hill Cemetery is maintained and controlled by the city of Milledgeville.
However, lots (or squares of graves) are owned by individuals.