Baldwin County (Georgia) Cemeteries

More information

Thomas A. Gilman

ca. 1858 - Feb 10, 1891

Cemetery: Memory Hill
West Side, Section G, Lot 17, Grave 2
-- See section's Lot Layout map on Memory Hill website. (Map will open in a new window.)

Inscription and Notes:

Unmarked Adult Slab - Dates per Union-Recorder, Feb 17, 1891. Identity per A/D.
s/o Mrs. C. Gilman, per A/D

Thomas A. Gilman (Union Recorder, Feb 17, 1891)



Among the visitors to the city last Tuesday was a good looking young man, neat in appearance, and of seeming intelligence. He was observed late in the afternoon under the influence of liquor, and after dark he was still in the city, and it is said called for a bottle of whiskey, which was denied him in one bar-room for the double reason that he wanted it on credit and the proprietor also thought that he had enough.

Early on Wednesday morning, the body of a man was discovered on the Dummy track, on the north side of Double Branches, opposite the residence of Mr. T. W. Turk, frightfully mangled, almost beyond recognition. His legs were broken, his stomach torn open, his liver mashed out and thrown some distance from his body, and his head crushed. In his pocket was a shattered bottle. His broken watch indicated the hour of 10:15. It was plain that the 10 o'clock Dummy for the Asylum had passed over his body, and returning had passed over it again. The body was recognized as that of Mr. Thomas Gilman, an employee of the Asylum, and the same young man mentioned above.

About 8 o'clock a.m., the Coroner, Mr. Ben Gause, summoned a jury composed of the following men: Dr. R. G. Smith, foreman; L. T. Miller, Warren Edwards, D. B. Brown, W. H. Mathis, J. G. Bearden, W. S. Vaughn, Jacob W. Caraker, W. J. Vaughan, W. S. Hawkins, J. B. Sutherland, and J. B. O'Quinn. After viewing the body, Dr. J. A. Callaway making the post mortem examination, the jury adjourned to meet at the Court House at 12 o'clock, M.

The jury met at the appointed time and examined about a dozen witnesses. Conductor Bass of the Dummy testified that the 10 o'clock trip to the Asylum was made on Tuesday night, backing out as usual. He stood in the door with his lantern in his hand, watching out, and saw nothing on the track. Engineer Rountree testified that he did not notice passing over any obstruction. Other witnesses testified that Thomas Gilman was in the city after dark, and started home in an intoxicated condition. After a full investigation the jury returned the follwing verdict: "We the jury find that Thomas Gilman, while intoxicated, came to his death by being run over by the Dummy on its way to the Asylum on the night of the 10th of February 1891."

The Milledgeville and Asylum railroad was put in operation in September 1888, and this is the first serious accident that has befallen it.

Mr. Gilman was buried Thursday morning in the city cemetery. He was 32 years of age. He leaves an aged mother and several brothers and sisters to mourn his death.

The obituary is followed by a Tribute of Respect from the Asylum, describing him as having a warm heart. "He would do you no injury, and at any time he was ready to render you a kindness."

See others in this cemetery lot.